- 4 slices veal shank (each about 300 grams)
- Pastry flour (for dusting)
- 1 bunch Soup vegetables (such as carrot, leek, parsnip or other aromatic vegetables such as celery or onion)
- 3 Onions
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 250 milliliters Veal stock (from a jar)
- 150 milliliters dry White wine
- freshly ground Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon grated Lemon peel
- Thyme (1 tsp, dried)
- Rosemary (1 tsp, dried)
- 1 Bay leaf
Rinse and peel soup vegetables as needed, chop into small cubes. Peel and finely chop onions and garlic.
Season meat with salt and pepper, coat wih flour. Heat oil in a roasting pan and brown meat on all sides. Remove from the pan.
Add soup vegetables, onions and garlic to the pan and saute briefly. Add wine, stock, tomato paste, lemon zest, herbs and bay leaf to the pan, season with salt and pepper.
Return meat to the pan and spread some vegetables over meat. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours.
Peel carrots and cut into 5 cm (approximately 2 inch) sticks. Rinse and halve celery lengthwise, cut into sticks. Rinse some celery leaves and chop finely.
Blanch celery and carrots in boiling salted water for about 6 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water, drain again.
Heat butter in a pan and saute carrots and celery briefly, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped celery leaves.
Arrange ossobuco with vegetable sauce, carrots and celery on plates and serve.