- 4 slices veal shank (each about 300 grams)
- Pastry flour (for dusting)
- 1 bunch Soup vegetables (such as carrot, leek, parsnip or other aromatic vegetables such as celery or onion)
- 3 Onions
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 250 milliliters Veal stock (from a jar)
- 150 milliliters dry White wine
- freshly ground Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon grated Lemon peel
- Thyme (1 tsp, dried)
- Rosemary (1 tsp, dried)
- 1 Bay leaf
- Carrots (250 grams)
- Celery (250 grams)
Peel and rinse soup vegetables, chop. Peel onions and garlic. Cut onions into wedges, chop garlic.
Season meat wih salt and pepper, coat with flour. Heat oil in a roasting pan and brown meat on all sides, remove from the pan.
Add soup vegetables, onions and garlic to the pan and saute for a few minutes, add wine and saute briefly. Add stock, tomato paste, lemon zest, herbs and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper.
Return meat to the pan, spread with vegetables and simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours.
Peel carrots and cut into thick slices. Rinse and halve celery lengthwise, cut into pieces. Rinse some celery leaves and chop finely. Add carrots and celery to the pan 20 minutes before the end of cooking.
Arrange meat with vegetable sauce, carrots and celery on plates, garnish with celery leaves and serve.