Southern-style Shrimp Stew
9,1 / 10
ready in 1 hr 25 min.
- 1 cup Andouille (or chorizo, diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic cloves (diced)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Bell pepper (red and green, diced)
- 1 stick Celery (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 teaspoon dried Fresh herbs (e. g. thyme and oregano)
- cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups fish stock
- 1 ¾ cups Okra (cut in pieces)
- 1 ⅔ cups tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 ½ cups King prawn (raw, deveined and peeled except for the tail)
- 2 cups Fish (e. g. cod, diced)
The okra serves to thicken the soup. This can be supplemented according to taste with cornflour or a brown roux.
Sauté the sausage with the onion and garlic briefly in hot oil. Add the peppers and celery and mix through together with the herbs, a little cayenne pepper, the paprika and the bay leaf. Fry together briefly then deglaze with the fish stock. Simmer gently for around 30 minutes.
Add the okra and tomatoes to the pan and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Add more stock if required, and stir from time to time.
Add the prawns and the fish to the gumbo and simmer for another 5 minutes or so until just cooked through. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper and serve.