for 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 chicken (jointed into 8 pieces)
- 4 rashers Bacon (finely chopped)
- 1 ½ cups shallots (peeled)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 5 cups button Mushrooms (halved)
- 2 cups Red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- freshly ground peppers
Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) 350F, gas 4. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof dish over a moderate heat and brown the chicken pieces all over. Remove from the dish and set aside.
Add the bacon to the pan and fry until lightly browned then add the shallots and garlic and cook gently until the shallots are beginning to soften.
Return the chicken to the dish, add the mushrooms, wine and chicken stock and season with salt and pepper.
Cover the dish and cook in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes, stirring gently from time to time, or until the chicken is cooked through.