Tender, lean, and tasty - no wonder chicken breast is one of the most popular ingredients in the U.S.!
- ...is great for low-carb diets.One serving of chicken breast contains less than 1 gram of carbs.
- ...helps the metabolism.Chicken breast fillet contains considerable amounts of niacin, also called vitamin B3, which supports the metabolic process and the formation of fatty acids in the body.
- ...helps keep you slim.Chicken breast is a very lean meat low in calories and fat, so even dieters can eat a substantial portion.
- ...helps strengthen teeth and bones.With a good 200 milligrams of phosphorus per 100 gram serving, chicken breast helps make teeth and bones stronger.
- ...is packed with protein.Chicken breast contains plenty of valuable proteins that can be optimally utilized by the body.
- ...may contain bacteria.Factory-farmed chicken can contain bacteria that makes you sick, like salmonella. Organic chicken has lisk risk of contamination.
What You Should Know About Chicken Breast
Chicken breast is low in fat but also incredibely tender, and when prepared correctly, can be just as juicy and flavorful as dark meat.
Bone-in chicken breast with skin is the most flavorful, but remember that chicken skin adds a lot of calories.
You can buy chicken breast all year round.
Chicken breast has a mild flavor and tender, juicy texture when prepared correctly.
Our Favorite Chicken Breast Recipes
How Healthy Is Chicken Breast?
There are good reasons why chicken breast is often high on the list of diet-friendly foods: chicken breast is not only extremely low in fat, but also extremely rich in valuable proteins.
Minerals such as magnesium, potassium and phosphorus are also present in significant quantities.
Remember to always cook chicken breast thoroughly to ensure you kill any potential salmonella contamination. The liquid that escapes during defrosting must be poured away immediately, as it contains salmonella particualarly often.
|CHICKEN BREAST NUTRITIONAL INFO (100 g)|
Shopping and Cooking Tips
Fresh chicken breast should have a light pink color, have a pleasant neutral smell and not secrete any liquid.
If it's important to you that your chicken is raised in a humane way, it's best to buy organic.
Really fresh chicken breasts can be kept in the refrigerator in the coldest place for one or two days. Place the chicken in a glass, porcelain or earthenware container and cover it.
Frozen chicken breasts are best defrosted slowly in the refrigerator.
Rinse chicken breast briefly under running water before preparation. Then dab dry with kitchen paper.
After preparing raw or defrosted chicken breast, wash your hands well and rinse all knives and boards used thoroughly with hot water and soap. Always use an extra work board and knives for other ingredients such as vegetables, especially if they are served raw.
What To Make With Chicken Breast
The popularity of chicken breast is due in no small part to the fact that it can be prepared in many different ways. Its fine and subtle taste means that chicken breast harmonises wonderfully with practically all spices and other ingredients.
A classic and simple dish for beginners is fried chicken breast, while more advanced cooks can prepare chicken in curries, stews or even wok dishes. chickens can be cut into cubes or strips and used to make curries, ragouts, sliced meat or wok dishes.