Slow Cooker Mushroom Ragout
- 0.333 cup sunflower oil
- 36 ounces Venison (or beef) trimmed, diced
- 1 tablespoon Juniper Berry
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 3 cups dry Red wine
- 3 cups Beef stock
- 3.333 cups pearl onions (halved)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup Cranberry
- 5 ½ cups Mixed Mushrooms (e. g. chanterelles, cremini, baby portabello )
- freshly ground Black pepper
Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a large heavy saucepan set over a moderate heat until hot.
Season the venison with salt and pepper and saute, in batches, until golden brown all over, using a little fresh oil for each batch.
Reduce the heat a little and add all the remaining ingredients, except the mushrooms, and stir well.
Pour into a slow cooker, cover with a lid, and cook on a low setting for 4 hours.
Add the mushrooms, stir, and cook for an additional 2 hours until the venison is very tender.