Salted Caramel Chocolate Muffins (organic)
1 hr 10 min.
ready in 2 h. 10 min.
- For the cupcakes
- 1 ¾ cups organic all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup organic cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp organic Baking powder
- ½ cup organic sugar
- 2 Organic eggs
- ⅜ cup organic sunflower oil
- 1 cup Organic milk
- ½ cup finely chopped, organic Dark chocolate (65% cocoa solids)
- For the salted caramel buttercream
- ½ cup organic caster sugar
- 4 Tbsps water
- 80 organic cream (48% fat)
- ½ tsp organic Sea salt
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- ¾ cup organic Salted butter
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar
For the cupcakes: heat the oven to 200ï¿½C (180ï¿½ fan) 400ï¿½F gas 6. Place paper cases in a 12 hole muffin tin.
Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar.
Whisk together the eggs and oil in a separate bowl until frothy, then slowly whisk in the milk.
Stir into the dry ingredients until just blended. The mixture will be slightly lumpy. Gently stir in the chocolate.
Spoon into the paper cases and bake for 20 minutes until risen and springy to the touch. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the salted caramel buttercream: heat the sugar and water in a pan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then increase the heat and cook the caramel for 2-3 minutes, without stirring, until golden and slightly thickened. Remove the pan from the heat immediately and stir in the cream. (the caramel will splutter) Stir in the salt and vanilla and set aside to cool completely.
Beat the butter until soft, then gradually beat in the icing sugar until soft and smooth. Beat in the caramel until blended.
Spoon into a piping bag and pipe swirls on top of the cakes. Sprinkle with the chocolate and butterscotch chips.