Rhubarb Cupcakes in Jars
Children's Snack (10-14 Years)
- 1 stalk red-fleshed Rhubarb (150 grams)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Blanched hazelnuts (10 grams, or 1 tablespoon of whole nuts)
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons Vanilla sugar (30 grams)
- 2 ounces Whole-wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 3 ounces Yogurt (low-fat)
- 1 teaspoon Powdered sugar
Rinse rhubarb, peel and cut into 1 cm (approximately 1/2-inch) thick pieces.
Coat two sealable screw-top jars with 1/2 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Finely chop or grind whole hazelnuts.
Separate egg. Mix egg yolk in a bowl with vanilla sugar, flour, hazelnuts, baking powder, yogurt and remaining canola oil.
In a high vessel, beat egg white and a pinch of salt until stiff with a hand mixer and then fold into batter.
Pour batter evenly into the prepared jars so each jar is about half full. Add rhubarb.
Bake jars without lids in a preheated oven at 200°C (fan oven 180°C, gas mark 3) (approximately 400°F/convection 350°F) on the middle rack for about 20 minutes. Remove rhubarb cakes, let cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Put lids on jars for storage or transport.