Chicken and Kidney Bean Chili
ready in 1 hr 40 min.
- 4 boneless, skinless Chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 medium onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsps Chili powder
- 1 ½ tsps ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground cilantro
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups canned Diced tomatoes (including liquid)
- 1.333 cups Chicken broth
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup Tomato paste
- 2 cups canned red Kidney beans (drained)
- Sour cream (to garnish)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro (rinsed and trimmed; to garnish)
- shredded Cheddar cheese (to serve)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
Rinse the chicken under cold running water, pat dry with paper towels and cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and chicken pieces; cook, stirring constantly until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
Add bay leaf, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, tomatoes, chicken broth, water, and tomato paste, stirring to blend. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring on occasion, for 35 to 40 minutes. Add beans and cook uncovered, for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times.
Ladle chili into bowls, top with sour cream and garnish with cilantro, and shredded cheese. Season to taste with freshly cracked black pepper.