Southeast Asian Steak Salad Bowl
ready in 1 hr 10 min.
This bowl is packed with protein from the steak and an array of vitamins and minerals from the potent mix of herbs.
If you want to cut down on fat and calories, replace the steak with chicken or turkey.
Author of this recipe:
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- ½ inch fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 sprig Lemongrass (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsps Fish sauce
- 1 tsp Palm sugar
- 4 cups Beef fillet (ready-to-cook, cut into thin strips)
- 12 Lettuce (e. g. cos lettuce)
- 3 cups Bean sprout
- 2 carrots (finely sliced or grated)
- ½ Cucumber (finely sliced or grated)
- 11 ozs Rice noodles
- 2 Tbsps Wheat germ oil
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 Tbsps mint (roughly chopped)
- 2 Tbsps Thai basil (roughly chopped)
- 2 Tbsps Peanuts (roughly chopped)
Mix together the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, fish sauce, sugar and ground black pepper an marinate the meat in it for around 25 min.
Place the lettuce leaves in bowls and blanche the bean sprouts in boiling salt water for 1 min. Drain well. Mix together the bean sprouts, carrots and cucumber and arrange them on the lettuce leaves.
Cook the noodles in boiling salt water for two minutes, quench and drain well. Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onion. Push the onion to the side of the wok, add some more oil if necessary and fry the meat on all sides on a high heat.
Mix together the meat and the onions with the herbs then take some of the onion-meat mixture and some of the noodles and arrange on top of the salad. Serve sprinkled with the peanuts.