Scallop and White Bean Soup
This satisfying soup is rich in vegetable protein from the white beans and animal protein from the scallops, which are also a good source of healthy fatty acids.
Serve this soup with a toasted whole wheat baguette for added fiber.
- 1 ¼ cups dried white navy bean
- 1.333 cups fresh Fava bean
- 1 ½ cups Snap pea (cut in half diagonally)
- 4 ½ cups green Asparagus (lower third peeled, halved lengthways and cut into 3-4 cm pieces)
- 4 ½ cups white Asparagus (peeled, halved lengthways and cut into 3-4 cm pieces)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 organic Limes (squeezed juice of one lime, the other 2 cut in half)
- 1 stalk Lemongrass (white and light green parts only)
- 8 Scallop (ready to cook, without shells)
- Lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 stalks fresh cilantro (leaves picked)
- 2 stalks Lemon thyme (leaves picked)
Soak the navy beans overnight in enough water to cover. Pour off the water and bring the same quantity of fresh water to the boil in a pan. Simmer the beans for approx. 45 minutes until done.
Add the fava beans and snap peas to the white beans for the last 3-4 minutes of cooking time. Drain, rinse quickly with cold water, and drain thoroughly.
Add all the beans and snap peas to the stock. Heat through and check the seasoning.