1 hr 30 min.
- For the soup
- ⅔ cup dried Pinto Bean (soaked overnight)
- 1 Bouquet garni (thyme, parsley, bay leaf)
- 4 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 small Leek (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 carrot (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 potatoes (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 zucchini (cut into chunks)
- 1 cup french Beans (cut into 3 cm lengths)
- 1 cup Linguine (or spaghetti)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan (to serve)
Rinse the beans and put them in a large pan with the bouquet garni and 1 litre water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes or until just tender. Add more water if necessary to keep the beans covered.
Heat the oil in a deep pan and gently cook the leek, garlic and carrot and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and pour in the beans and their cooking water. Discard the bouquet garni.
Add another litre of water to the pan with the courgettes, season with salt and pepper and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
Add the French beans and pasta, simmer until just tender and check the seasoning. Serve the soup with a spoonful of pesto stirred into each bowl and scatter the parmesan over.
For the pesto:
Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until lightly browned.
Put the toasted pine nuts in a blender or food processor with the garlic, basil leaves and parmesan. Drizzle the oil in as you blend the mixture to a coarse paste. Season with salt and pepper.