Pappardelle with Tomato and Pepper Sauce
- 2 garlic
- 1 shallot
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Tomato paste
- 1 can peeled tomatoes (about 340 g, sliced)
- 4 tablespoons Ajvar (pepper paste)
- 1 pinch sugar
- ½ red Bell pepper
- 500 grams Pappardelle noodles
- 1 tablespoon black Olives (pitted)
- 1 generous pinch Chili powder
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Basil (for garnish)
Peel and finely chop the garlic and shallots. Sauté in the olive oil then add the tomato paste. Sauté briefly then add the tomatoes and 50 ml (approximately 2 ounces) of water. Mix in the ajvarand season to taste with salt, pepper, and sugar. Cover and gently simmer.
Peel and trim the peppers. Remove the seeds, quarter, and julienne. Add to the sauce, and continue to simmer. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente.
Chop the olives and add to the sauce. Season the sauce to taste with the chili powder.
Drain the pasta, then mix with the sauce. Transfer to warmed plates, sprinkle with the parmesan cheese, garnish with the basil, and serve.