Meat, Tomato, and Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Cups
9,2 / 10
ready in 1 hr 10 min.
- 2 large zucchini (washed)
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 medium onion (peeled and diced)
- 1 green Bell pepper (washed; trimmed and finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 16 ozs ground Beef (low fat)
- 12 ozs ground Turkey (low fat)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground peppers (to taste)
- 1 cup cooked Long grain rice
- 1 cup diced Fontina cheese
- 2 cups chunky, Italian Tomato paste (jarred)
Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly coat a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Cut zucchini into 2-inch thick rounds, discarding the ends. Using a spoon hollow out the center of each zucchini round, leaving 1/4-inch of flesh to form a zucchini cup. Arrange in baking dish and set aside.
Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Saute the onions and peppers for 4 to 5 minutes, or until just soft. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Place the onion mixture in a bowl.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Crumble in ground beef and ground turkey, season with thyme, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the meat is cook thorough and well browned. Pour off any extra fat in the pan. Add onion mixture and cooked rice; stir to incorporate. Remove from heat and allow to cool briefly.
Stir the diced cheese into the cooled meat mixture and spoon the mixture into the zucchini cups, pressing down with the back of the spoon until the filling forms a mound over the top.
Spoon the tomato sauce around and over the top of the zucchini rounds. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the zucchini is slightly soft when pierced with a fork. Serve hot.