Golden Chinese Cones
- 1 Tbsp Nut oil (plus oil for deep-frying)
- 1.333 cups Chicken breasts (skinned and finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp five spice powder
- 1 carrot (peeled and cut into fine batons)
- 1 zucchini (peeled and cut into fine batons)
- 1 red pepper (deseeded and finely sliced)
- 2 scallions (finely sliced lengthways)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (grated)
Chicken Oyster Sauce Spring Rolls For deeper flavour add 2 tbsp oyster sauce to the filling mixture
Heat the oil in a wok until nearly smoking, then fry the chicken for 2 minutes. Add the soy and five spice, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Wipe the wok clean.
Place the vegetables in a bowl with the ginger, then add the chicken mixture and stir to combine.
Lay 2 spring roll wrappers on top of one another. Place 2 tbsp filling in the centre then roll the wrapper up, sealing the edges with the cornflour mixed with water to make a paste. Repeat until all the wrappers are used up.
Fill the wok a quarter-full with oil and heat until a cube of bread turns golden and sizzles when thrown in. Deep fry the spring rolls in batches for 3 minutes, turning carefully, until golden and crisp.
Drain on kitchen paper and serve.