Chickpea Patties with Salsa
ready in 26 min.
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup scallions (minced)
- 5 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- ¼ tsp minced rosemary
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tsps lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup toasted Sesame seeds
- Oil (for frying)
- Sea salt (to finish)
- fresh cilantro rinsed and finely chopped (for garnish)
- For Tomato Salsa
- 4 ripe tomatoes (rinsed; seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 small Red onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 handful cilantro (rinsed and finely chopped)
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 2 Tbsps Lime juice
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
Combine chickpeas, onions, garlic, rosemary, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, beaten egg, flour, breadcrumbs, and sesame seeds in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is fairly uniform. but not pureed. The mixture should hold it's shape. Add liquid or breadcrumbs as needed to find the right consistency.
Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, set over a medium-high heat. Using clean hands, shape mixture into a flattened patties, of equal portions. Working in batches, place the patties in the hot oil. Pan-fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes, flip and brown the other side.
Drain on absorbent paper towels and finish with a little bit of sea salt. Transfer to serving plates and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with salsa.
For Tomato Salsa:
Combine chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic and cilantro in a small bowl. Add olive oil, lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Toss to incorporate.