Chicken Hot Dogs
ready in 37 min.
- 2 cups red Cabbage (finely shredded)
- 1 medium carrot (coarsely shredded)
- ¼ cup fresh mint (coarsely chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (coarsely chopped)
- ½ tsp Serrano chile pepper (minced)
- 1 ½ Tbsps fresh Lime juice
- 1 ½ Tbsps olive oil
- kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.333 cup yellow Cornmeal
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 24 ozs skinless, boneless Chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch thick strips)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 6 sandwich Rolls (split)
In a bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, mint, cilantro, and chile. Stir in lime juice and olive oil and season with salt.
In a pie plate mix flour, cornmeal, salt, and cayenne. In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk and egg to combine. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, dip into buttermilk mixture, then return to flour mixture, turning to coat all sides.
Pour 1 inch of oil into a large pan over medium-high heat. When oil reaches 350° F/ 175º C, add chicken in a single layer, and cook until well browned all over and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes. As chicken is done, transfer to paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat process if necessary until all chicken is cooked.
Spread sandwich rolls with mayonnaise. Divide chicken among rolls and top generously with slaw.