The juicy and extremely fruity filling of the apple pie does not need much extra sweetness due to apples and raisins. The wholemeal flour and the large quantity of apples make the cake rich and ensure a healthy digestion due to the fibre.
The apple pie made from wholemeal flour tastes naturally warm, but also cold - especially on mild summer days! Depending on availability, you can also replace the wholemeal wheat flour with wholemeal spelt flour. This has a high proportion of husk, which provides many nutrients such as magnesium in higher quantities.
- For dough
- 300 grams Whole wheat flour (approximately 11 ounces, or 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated Lemon peel
- 50 grams liquid honey (approximately 2 ounces, or 1/4 cup)
- 50 grams sugar (approximately 2 ounces, or 1/4 cup)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 150 grams cold butter (approximately 5 ounces)
- butter (for the pan)
- Pastry flour (for the surface)
- Parchment paper
- Dried legumes (for blind baking)
- For filling
- 100 grams raisins (approximately 4 ounces)
- 1 ½ kilograms Apple (approximately 3 pounds)
- 125 milliliters Apple juice (approximately 4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 80 grams liquid honey (approximately 3 ounces, or 1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 packet Vanilla sugar
- 1 egg white
- 125 grams ground almonds (approximately 4 ounces)
For dough: Mix flour with baking powder and lemon zest, then place onto work surface and make a well in the middle. Mix honey, sugar, egg yolks and egg in the well. Cut butter in pieces into the flour and knead until smooth dough forms.
Form half of dough into ball and place wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. Place the other half of the dough into greased pan, press onto bottom of pan evenly. Cut a circle out of parchment paper the size of the bottom of the pan and place on dough. Spread the legumes over it. Bake in preheated oven at 200°C (approximately 400°F) convection for about 15 minutes. Prebake until light brown then remove from oven. Remove baking paper and legumes and let cool.
For filling: Peel and core apples, slice into pieces. Place in a pot with the apple juice and the lemon juice. Mix, honey, cinnamon, vanilla sugar and raisins. Add to pot and cook for about 8 min. Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated and the apple pieces have disintegrated. Remove from heat and let cool.
Beat the egg whites until stiff and gently fold along with the almonds into the apple mixture. Take the remaining dough out of the refrigerator, form a long roll about a third and then to the edge of the mold.
Pour the filling evenly into the cooled cake pan.
Roll out remaining dough on floured surface to size of pan, place on top of apple mixture. Prick dough with a fork several times. Place cake back in the oven and bake for 45 min. at 180°C (approximately 350°F) convection until golden brown.
For topping: Mix apricot jam with lemon juice brush on still warm cake surface, then sprinkle with almonds and leave to cool in the pan.