Apple and Beet Carpaccio with Goat Cheese
Beets owes their unique ruby-red color to the natural coloring agent betanin, which has powerful antioxidant properties.
Instead of walnuts, you can use pecans, pine nuts, or pumpkin seeds.
- 2 tablespoons Walnut (chopped)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 tablespoons Spelt flakes
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 ounces Goat cheese (8 medallions )
- 8 ounces acidic Apple (i.e. Granny Smith)
- 9 ounces Beets ((2-precooked & vacuum packed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
- 4 ounces whole wheat Baguette (sliced)
Chop walnuts. Wash the thyme, shake dry and pluck the leaves. Thoroughly mix the walnuts with thyme leaves, spelt flakes, honey and 1 pinch of salt.
Put the goat cheese medallion on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Pour honey-spelt crunch on top and bake in a preheated oven at 390°F for about 12 minutes until golden brown.
In the meantime, wash the apples and core them with a core cutter. Cut or slice the apples and beets into very fine slices and spread on a platter or plate.
Mix olive oil with apple vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Spread the vinaigrette over the carpaccio (apple and beet slices) and let it steep for 5 minutes.
Arrange the goat's cheese and honey-spelt crunch on the apple and beet carpaccio and serve with baguette.