Young Beef Roast with Artichokes
ready in 2 h.
- 42 ounces Veal (e. g leg or shoulder)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ⅞ cup dry white wine
- 2 sticks Celery (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 8 small Artichoke (hard outer leaves removed, stalk cut to 3-4 cm and peeled, fuzzy choke removed, halved)
- 1 ½ cups Veal stock
- 1 lemon (strips of zest, juice)
Heat the oven to 160°C (140°C in a fan oven), 325°F, gas 3.
Rub salt and ground black pepper into the meat. Heat the oil in a roasting tin and fry the meat until brown all over. Pour on the wine and remove from the heat.
Arrange the vegetables around the meat. Season with salt and ground black pepper and roast in the oven for approx. 1.5 hours. Baste at intervals with the pan juice and maintain the level of liquid by adding a little stock from time to time.
Remove the roasting tin from the oven and season the sauce with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper. Slice the meat, garnish with strips of lemon zest and serve with the vegetables in the roasting tin.