Steak Skewers with Tomato Salad
ready in 8 h. 35 min.
- For Kebabs
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsps brown sugar
- 3 Tbsps white distilled vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Seasoned salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground Black pepper
- ½ cup lemon-lime soda
- 32 ozs lean Sirloin steak (cut into strips)
- vegetable oil (for grill grate)
- For Tomato Salad
- 5.333 cups fresh, ripe tomatoes (rinsed; trimmed and finely chopped)
- 1 small Red onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- ½ yellow Bell pepper (rinsed; trimmed and finely chopped)
- ¼ cup finely chopped Basil (optional)
- 2 Tbsps white balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsps fresh Lime juice
- 4 Tbsps good-quality olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, brown sugar, distilled white vinegar, garlic powder, seasoned salt, pepper, and lemon-lime soda. Reserve about 1/2 cup of this marinade for basting. Place steak strips in a large resealable plastic bag. Cover with the remaining marinade, and reseal the bag. Gently squeeze to completely coat the steak with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight, turning once or twice.
Preheat grill for direct grilling to high heat. Thread steak onto skewers and discard the marinade.
Lightly oil the grill grate. Cook kebabs on the prepared grill for about 5 minutes per side, or until desired doneness. Baste frequently with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes of grilling. Serve.
For Tomato Salad:
In a large serving bowl, combine the prepared tomatoes, onion, peppers and basil.
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over the tomato mixture. Toss gently to coat and allow to stand for 30 minutes at room temperature.
Divide between serving plates and serve with kebabs and pita bread.