Spanish Chicken with Soft Peppers
8,2 / 10
1 hr 35 min.
- 8 chicken (drumsticks, thighs and legs all work well)
- 1 large Red pepper (deseeded and sliced)
- 1 large, green pepper (deseeded and sliced)
- 1 large, yellow Bell pepper (deseeded and sliced)
- 1 large onion (or 2 medium onions)
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 cup Bacon (cut into small lardons)
- 2 large garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp hot paprika
- 2 large tomatoes (cut into quarters)
- 1 ⅛ cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 3 Tbsps flat leaf parsley
- freshly milled Black pepper
Season the chicken joints well with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 180°C | 350F | gas 4.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large casserole and, when its spitting add the chicken pieces 2-3 at a time and brown on all sides, then remove and drain on kitchen paper towel.
Add a little more oil to the casserole dish and then add the garlic and onion and sauté for a few minutes. When it begins to soften add the peppers to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes until they begin to brown on the edges.
Add the lardons to the pan and mix these with the peppers and onion and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Mix in the tomato puree and paprika into the pan, then pour in the wine and stock and add some seasoning. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer.
Place the chicken on top of the peppers and onion. Add the tomatoes.
Cover with a tight lid and cook in the oven for 1 hour until chicken is cooked through and golden and the stock/wine is reduced.
Remove from the oven and stir the chopped parsley through the dish keeping a little back for garnish.
Place the chicken on a bed of the peppers and onion, garnish with a little parsley and then serve.