7,9 / 10
1 hr 15 min.
ready in 1 hr 30 min.
- For Pizza Dough
- ½ cup warm water (105º to 110º F)
- 2 teaspoons Dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for work surface)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for bowl)
- For Pizza Topping
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Tomato sauce (or pizza sauce)
- 3 cups mixed, cherry or plum Heirloom tomato (rinsed and sliced)
- 1 cup Bell pepper
- 1 medium Red onion (peeled and sliced into rings)
- 2 tablespoons Caper (drained)
- fine Sea salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
- 1 handful fresh Basil (roughly torn and divided)
For Pizza Dough:
In a small bowl, combine warm water and yeast. Let stand until the yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes.
Mix the flour and salt in a food processor. Blend in the oil. With the machine running, add the yeast mixture and blend just until the dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer the dough to a large oiled bowl and turn the dough to coat with the oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm draft-free area until the dough doubles in volume, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down and divide into 2 equal balls.
Position one oven rack in the center and the second rack on the bottom of the oven and preheat to 450º F. Sprinkle cornmeal over parchment paper or 2 rimless baking sheets. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball into a 10 to 11-inch round and place on parchment paper or prepared baking sheet.
For Pizza Topping:
Drizzle 2 teaspoons of oil over each pizza crust. Cover each pizza crust with sauce, leaving a 1-inch border around each pizza. Arrange the sliced tomatoes, peppers and red onion slices in a single layer on each pizza crust. Sprinkle with capers and season to taste with salt, pepper and minced garlic. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and half of the fresh basil.
Bake in preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the crusts are crisp and brown on the bottom. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Cut the pizza into wedges and serve immediately.