Ground Meat and Vegetable Gratin
- 600 grams potatoes (cooked, peeled and sliced)
- 3 carrots (cubed)
- 400 grams Ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 400 grams Napa cabbage (sliced)
- freshly ground peppers
- 150 milliliters white wine
- 200 grams grated Gruyere (r Appenzeller)
Heat clarified butter in a pan and saute onions and bay leaf for a few minutes. Add peeled and squeezed through garlic press garlic, ground beef, carrots, mustard and tomato paste, season with salt, pepper and herbs and continue cooking.
Blanch cabbage in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water and drain again.
Place cabbage into a greased ovenproof dish and spread ground meat mixture. Layer potatoes on top, season with salt and pepper. Add wine to the dish and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake in preheated oven at 180°C (approximately 350°F) for about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.