Cioppino Seafood Stew Recipe
9,3 / 10
ready in 1 hr 5 min.
- 4 Tbsps olive oil
- 2 carrots (peeled and finely diced)
- 2 medium yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 4 Leeks (white part only; finely chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 3 tomatoes (peeled; seeded; and diced)
- 3 cups white potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 32 ozs Cod
- 2 Tbsps fresh thyme (chopped)
- 6 cups fish stock
- freshly ground Black pepper
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 medium shallots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 24 mussels (scrubbed and de-bearded)
- 1 ½ cups jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined)
Melt olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Cook carrots, onions, leeks, and garlic until soft, about 15 minutes.
Add tomatoes and potatoes, and cook until potatoes are slightly tender, about 8 minutes.
Cut fish into 2 inch pieces and place on top of vegetables. Add thyme and fish stock. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, place white wine and shallots in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and add mussels and shrimp. Cover and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until mussels open and shrimp turn pink, about 4 minutes. Remove shellfish with a slotted spoon, reserving liquid. Discard any mussels that don’t open, and set pan aside for about 10 minutes so that any sand in the liquid will settle to the bottom.
Ladle shellfish liquid into fish broth. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange fish, vegetables, and shellfish in individual bowls and ladle broth on top. Serve.