Chicken, Tortilla, and Shredded Cheese Soup
ready in 1 hr 36 min.
- 1 Tbsp good-quality olive oil
- 1 medium onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 1 medium Jalapeño (pepper)
- 4 boneless, skinless Chicken breasts (halves)
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tsps ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 4 cups canned Diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low-sodium Chicken broth
- 2 cups canned Tomato sauce
- 2 cups frozen Corn kernel
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 handfuls crushed Tortilla chip (plus extra to serve)
- monterey jack cheese (shredded)
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions, garlic and jalapeno until the onions are soft and the mixture is fragrant, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Rinse the chicken breasts under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Add the chicken, wine, cumin, chili powder, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 to 18 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove the chicken breasts. Using two forks shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and simmer for an additional 35 minutes. Add the corn and chopped cilantro, return to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes longer.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Serve hot with tortilla chips on the side.