Chicken and Avocado Tortilla Soup
ready in 50 min.
- 1 pinch Chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 Corn tortilla (6-inch)
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 1 Jalapeño (rinsed; seeded and chopped)
- 4 cups low-sodium Chicken broth
- 2 cups canned, spicy, diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups Cooked chicken (cubed or shredded)
- 1 ripe Avocado (peeled and thinly sliced)
- ½ cup shredded mexican cheese blend
Preheat oven to 400º F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with cooking parchment paper.
In a small ramekin bowl, combine chili powder and salt. Lightly brush both sides of the tortillas with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Cut each tortilla in half and then into bite-size pieces. Spread in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with the chili powder and salt mixture. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until crispy.
Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large sauce pan set over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add chopped jalapeños and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, and diced tomatoes including juices, increase temperature and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add cooked chicken and cook until heated through.
Divide among bowls, add cheese and serve topped with crispy tortillas and sliced avocado.