Bread and Cherry Tomato Salad
7,6 / 10
This delicious salad is a great source of the antioxidant lycopene from the tomatoes.
Use whole wheat bread instead of white bread in this salad for added fiber.
Author of this recipe:
- 1 day-old Ciabatta approx. 5 cups (with sunflower and poppy seeds, if desired), cubed
- 5 Tbsps olive oil
- 2 Tbsps white balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
- 4 cups Cherry tomatoes (red and yellow, cut in two or three chunks each)
- 2 Red onions (sliced into strips)
- 1 clove garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 ¼ cups fresh Mozzarella (diced)
- 1 handful Basil (a few leaves set aside for garnish, the rest sliced)
Fry the ciabatta in 2-3 tbsp olive oil until crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
Whisk together the remaining oil with the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and a pinch of sugar and season with salt and ground black pepper.
Mix all the ingredients together and pour over the dressing, mixing thoroughly. Divide between shallow bowls and serve garnished with the reserved basil.