Whole Wheat Bread
Whole wheat bread is a nutritious alternative to white bread, as it contains considerably more fiber and minerals.
Whole wheat bread...
- ...is high in fiber. 100 grams of whole wheat bread contains on average 6 grams of fiber. This corresponds to a good fifth of your daily recommended amount and promotes a healthy intestinal flora and good digestion.
- ...contains many minerals. Minerals and trace elements such as magnesium, phosphorus, iron, copper and zinc are present in large quantities of whole grain bread.
- ...is easy on the stomach. Whole grain bread is a great option for those with a sensitive stomach; it offers the advantages of the whole grain, but puts less strain on the digestive organs than other types of more hearty breads and grains.
- ...provides several B vitamins. Because whole wheat bread is made from flour that still contains the outer layers of the wheat grain, it has relatively high levels of nutrients, including B group vitamins, which help support the health of the nervous system, metabolism and brain.
- ...is high in gluten. If you have celiacs disease or are on a low-gluten diet, skip whole wheat bread.
- ...can trigger allergies. Some people react to whole wheat bread with allergic symptoms such as severe digestive problems, rashes and itching, unusual tiredness or asthma. If you show any of these symptoms, consult your doctor.
What You Should Know About Whole Wheat Bread
Good whole wheat bread can have a relatively light color and tight texture that is similar to white bread. However whole wheat bread is made from flour that still contains the outer layers of the wheat grain, thus making it much more rich in fiber and certain nutrients, such as B vitamins, than white bread. It also generally contains less refined sugar.
Our Favorite Recipes With Whole Wheat Bread
Find all our recipes with whole wheat bread here.
How Healthy is Whole Wheat Bread?
Compared to white bread, wholewheat bread not only provides twice as much fiber, but also twice as much potassium and iron, three times as much magnesium and four times as much zinc . Whole wheat bread also contains many times more important B vitamins.
Important for people sensitive to nickel: whole wheat usually contains a considerable amount of this mineral.
|WHOLE WHEAT BREAD NUTRITIONAL INFO (100 g)|
|Dietary Fiber||7.6 g|
Most big-brand varieties of whole wheat bread that you find prepackaged in the supermarket have less vitamins and fiber than homemade kinds. If you can, purchase your whole wheat bread at a baker or make the bread yourself to ensure it's as nutritious as possible.