Braised Brisket with Vegetable Broth
4 h. 15 min.
- 21 cups water
- 35 ozs Beef bone
- 106 ozs Beef brisket (in one piece)
- 15 peppercorns
- 2 ½ cups Celery (roughly chopped)
- 2 ½ cups carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 ½ cups parsley (or turnips or parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1.333 cups Baby onions (peeled and halved)
- 1 Leek (sliced)
- 4 sprigs Lovage
Bring the water to the boil in a large stockpot and add the bones, brisket and peppercorns. Reduce the heat to a ‘blip’ and simmer for 3-4 hours, skimming off any froth that comes to the surface.
An hour before the end of cooking time, add the vegetables and lovage and leave to simmer on a low heat.
When the meat is completely tender, remove from the pot. Carefully season the soup and strain. Discard the bones. Cut the beef across the grain into finger-thick slices and serve in a deep dish. Pour the hot stock over it and some of the tender vegetables if desired.
Mix together the horseradish and apple puree in equal quantities to serve alongside. Sprinkle the beef with sea salt and chives just before serving.