for 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 ¼ cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 ¼ cups uncooked wheat berry
- 2 cups Vegetable broth
- 2 scallions (rinsed and chopped)
- 8 cups fresh Baby spinach (rinsed)
- salt (to taste)
In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook about 3 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
Add the wheat berries and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and gently simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Uncover, add scallions and spinach, stirring until the spinach wilts. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until all the vegetable broth is absorbed. Season to taste with salt.
Divide among plates and serve.