Vietnamese-style Filled Seafood
8,9 / 10
- 4 pieces Squid tentacle (and body, 125 g)
- 4 tablespoons Shrimp paste (convenience product)
- 1 ¾ ounces Rice noodles
- 1 carrot (finely sliced lengthways)
- 1 Cucumber (peeled, deseeded and chopped)
- 1 red chile pepper (deseeded and finely chopped)
- ¾ cup Nuoc Cham sauce (see recipe no. 199568)
- sunflower oil
- 1 large shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 Limes (cut in half)
Finely chop the squid tentacles and mix in a bowl with the shrimp paste and spring roll filling. Fill the squid body with this mixture (store leftover filling in the refrigerator) and secure with a wooden skewer. Place on a plate and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Heat the oven to 190°C (170°C in a fan oven), 375°F, gas 5.
Bring plenty of salted water to the boil and cook the noodles until al dente. Drain and quench briefly in cold water. Mix the noodles with the carrot, cucumber and chilli and season to taste with 4 tbsp nuoc cham sauce.
In a pan, heat plenty of oil to 180°C (375°F) and fry the stuffed squid for around 1 minute until crispy. Transfer to a baking tray and cook in the oven for around 10 minutes. To be certain that the filling is cooked, leave to rest for a further 5 minutes.
Slice the squid into rings and serve on plates with the noodles. Scatter with chopped shallot and coriander leaves and garnish with halves of lime. Serve with the remaining nuoc cham sauce as a dip.