Stuffed Roast Lamb with Stewed Tomatoes
- For the lamb
- 1 Lamb shoulder from the butcher, boned, bones reserved (for the sauce, bones cut into pieces)
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- 80 grams black olives (Pitted)
- 1 stalk rosemary
- 2 Tbsps breadcrumbs
- 1 bunch Soup vegetables
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 250 milliliters Red wine
- 1 jar (400 ml) lamb stock
1. For the lamb, trim lamb shoulder to remove fat and sinews, leaving meat intact so that it can be rolled and not fall apart. Season meat with salt and pepper. Peel 2 onions and garlic and dice with the tomatoes and the olives into very small cubes. Combine all in a bowl. Rinse herbs. Strip thyme leaves (setting a few sprigs aside for garnish) and rosemary from the stems. Chop herbs finely and add along with the breadcrumbs to the olive mixture. Mix well and season with some salt and pepper. Spread the mixture on the meat (Step 1) and roll the meat tightly. Tie with kitchen twine.
2. Trim soup vegetables and cut into chunks. Peel onions and cut into quarters. Heat the olive oil. Brown meat on all sides over high heat. Add soup vegetables, bones and onions. Deglaze with red wine and pour in the lamb stock. Roast uncovered in a preheated oven at 175°C (gas mark 2-3, fan: 160°C) (approximately 350°F/convection 325°F) for 90 minutes (Step 2).
3. In the meantime, for the vegetables, score the tomatoes crosswise, blanch for 1 minute with boiling water, rinse in cold water and remove skin. Cut tomatoes into quarters and remove the seeds. Peel onion and garlic and chop finely. Rinse the rosemary. Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté until golden. Add tomatoes, beans and rosemary (Step 3). Cover and braise for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add some vegetable broth if needed, so the tomatoes do not burn.
4. Remove lamb shoulder from the stock, cover with aluminum foil and let stand for about 5 minutes to rest. Strain lamb stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Slice lamb shoulder and arrange on a platter with the tomatoes. Serve with the reduced sauce.