Steak and Tomato Sandwiches
ready in 40 min.
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 Steak (160 g each)
- 4 ciabatta Rolls (halved lengthways)
- 3 onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 16 Dried tomatoes (in oil, drained well)
- 4 slices Cheese (e. g. Emmental)
Mix together the thyme, tomato puree, spices, ginger and the soy sauce. Brush onto the meat and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the meat for 4 min on each side. Remove from the pan and leave to rest.
Preheat the grill to hot. Place the rolls on the grill rack and grill gently until golden brown.
Fry the onions in a separate pan of oil, dust with the icing sugar and allow to caramelise slightly. Arrange on the bottom halves of the rolls and cover with the tomatoes. Slice the meat and arrange it on top. Cover with a slice of cheese and return to the grill to allow the cheese to melt. Place the other halves of the rolls on top and serve immediately.