Spanish Rice with Seafood
7,9 / 10
- 3 cups mussels (beards removed and scrubbed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 ⅔ cups Paella rice (calasparra)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon Saffron
- 2 cups hot fish stock (more if needed)
- 1.333 cups raw Prawn (peeled)
- 2 Squid tentacles (cut into rings)
Place the mussels in a colander and rinse under cold running water. Discard any mussels that do not close when tapped firmly.
Heat the oil in a paella pan or large frying pan and cook the onion for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the rice and paprika and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, to coat the grains. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes to reduce slightly, then add the saffron and stock. Mix well then cover tightly and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is just tender. Add a little more stock or water if the mixture is too dry.
Add the mussels, prawns and squid. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until the seafood is cooked – the mussels should have opened (discard any that remain closed) and the prawns should be pink. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Arrange in a serving platter and garnish with coriander and lemon wedges.