Rustic Beef and Vegetable Stew
8,4 / 10
ready in 2 h. 55 min.
- 4 ½ cups stewing Beef (trimmed and cut into cubes)
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 2 Tbsps vegetable oil
- 3 onions (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and pressed)
- 2 Tbsps all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Beef stock
- ½ cup Red wine (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 Tbsps sweet paprika
- 1 tsp Caraway
- 2 tsps dried marjoram
- 6 small potatoes (peeled and halved)
- 3 carrots (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 small Butternut squash (or small acorn squash)
Heat oven to 300º F / 150º C.
Pat the beef completely dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large ovenproof Dutch oven. Add beef to pot and brown meat on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove meat and set aside.
Add onions to now empty pot and sauté until almost softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute longer or until garlic is fragrant. Stir in flour and cook until lightly colored, 2 to 3 minutes. Add stock, scraping up any browned bits that may be stuck to the bottom of the pot. Add wine (if using), bay leaf, thyme, paprika, caraway seeds and marjoram; bring to simmer. Add meat; return to simmer. Remove from burner. Cover and place in oven to simmer for 1 hour.
Remove pot from oven, add potatoes, carrots and squash, cover, and return to oven. Simmer until meat and vegetables are fork tender, about 50 to 60 minutes longer. Remove stew from oven.
Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.