Red Cabbage with Pumpkin
- 1 shallot
- 1 smaller Red cabbage (1,2 kg)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 150 milliliters fruity Red wine
- 250 milliliters Apple juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 150 grams Hokkaido pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Quince jelly
- freshly ground peppers
- 2 tablespoons Pumpkin seed
Peel the shallot and finely chop. Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage, quarter, cut out stalk and cut or slice into thin strips. Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the cabbage and shallot. Pour in the wine and juice, add bay leaf and cinnamon, bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for 1 hour. Stir occasionally and add water as needed to reach 300 ml (approximately 1 1/3 cups).
Rinse the pumpkin and cut into thin slices. Mix into the cabbage during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Season with vinegar, quince jelly, salt and pepper until piquant. Serve garnished with pumpkin seeds.