Pinto Bean Stew
ready in 50 min.
- 3 cups fresh Apple cider
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup Orange juice
- 1 medium Butternut squash (peeled and cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 4 ½ cups canned Pinto Bean (rinsed and drained)
- 1 pinch mild crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- coarse salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups frozen Corn kernel
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
In a Dutch oven, add the cider, water, orange juice, squash, onion and pinto beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low. Stir in the pepper flakes, honey, curry and cumin. Maintain a high simmer over low heat; cook, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the frozen corn, stirring gently to incorporate. Cook, uncovered for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the stew thickens and the liquid is reduced.
Stir in the cilantro. Ladle in serving bowls and serve.