Pepperoni Supreme Pizza
ready in 1 hr 40 min.
- For Pizza Dough
- ½ cup warm water (110º F / 43º C)
- 2 tsps Dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for work surface)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsps olive oil (plus extra for bowl)
- 2 Tbsps Cornmeal (for the pans)
- For Pizza Topping
- 4 tsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
- ⅔ cup sliced Pepperoni
- 3 cups mixed, cherry or plum Heirloom tomato (rinsed and sliced)
- 1 medium Red onion (peeled and sliced into rings)
- ¼ cup sliced black olives (drained)
- 1 cup sliced Mushrooms
- fine Sea salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1 tsp Spices
- fresh thyme chopped (to garnish)
For Pizza Dough:
In a small bowl, combine warm water and yeast. Let stand until the yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes.
Mix the flour and salt in a food processor. Blend in the oil. With the machine running, add the yeast mixture and blend just until the dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer the dough to a large oiled bowl and turn the dough to coat with the oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm draft-free area until the dough doubles in volume, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down and divide into 2 equal balls.
Position one oven rack in the center and the second rack on the bottom of the oven and preheat to 450º F / 230º C. Sprinkle cornmeal over parchment paper or 2 rimless baking sheets. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball into a 10 to 11-inch / 28 to 28 cm round and place on parchment paper or prepared baking sheet.
For Pizza Topping:
Drizzle 2 teaspoons of oil over each pizza crust. Cover each pizza crust with sauce, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce and arrange the pepperoni, tomatoes, red onion. olives and mushrooms in a single layer on each pizza crust. Season to taste with salt, pepper, minced garlic and Italian spices. Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
Bake in preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the crusts are crisp and brown on the bottom. Sprinkle with fresh thyme. Cut the pizza into wedges and serve immediately.