ready in 1 hr
- 12 pieces chicken (combination of drumsticks and thighs)
- salt (to taste)
- peppers (to taste)
- ¼ cup good-quality olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 large onion (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 1 ½ cups uncooked, quick-cooking white rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 ½ cups Chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken Bouillon (granules)
- 1 teaspoon Saffron
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 large, green Bell pepper (rinsed; trimmed and sliced)
- 3 ripe tomatoes (rinsed; trimmed and sliced into wedges)
- 1 ½ cups uncooked, medium shrimp (peeled and deveined; tails intact)
- ½ cup green Olives (jarred)
- 1 cup frozen, sweet peas
- 1 fresh lemon (rinsed and cut into wedges)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (finely chopped)
Rinse chicken under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-heat heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and chopped onions; cook for 2 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent. Stir in the rice, cook for 1 minute or until the rice is light golden brown and coated with oil.
Stir in the wine, chicken broth, bouillon, saffron, and turmeric. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in peppers, tomatoes, shrimp, olives and peas. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp is cooked and the rice is tender.
Remove from heat source. Add lemon wedges and half of the chopped parsley, stirring to incorporate. Cover, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
Garnish with remaining parsley. Serve hot.