Olive and Cheese-stuffed Peppers
ready in 1 hr 15 min.
- 4 Bell pepper (red; yellow and orange; halved and seeded)
- 2 cups stale, italian Bread (cubed)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup sheep cheese
- 12 Cocktail tomatoes (rinsed and trimmed)
- 2 Tbsps olive oil (divided)
- 1 rib Celery (rinsed; trimmed and finely chopped)
- 1 green Bell pepper (seeded and roughly chopped)
- 2 shallots (peeled and finely chopped)
- ½ cup fresh Mushrooms (cleaned and finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- ¼ tsp dried Italian seasoning
- ½ cup pitted green olives (roughly chopped)
- 2 Tbsps fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 small onion (peeled and sliced into rings)
- 1 Tbsp Caper (drained)
Preheat oven to 350º F / 180º C. Coat a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place the peppers in the baking dish and set aside. Place cubed bread in a large bowl, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup water; set aside.
Mash the cheese with a fork and set aside.
Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for about 30 to 40 seconds; plunge into cold water; peel, seed, dice and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, saute the celery, chopped green peppers, shallots, mushrooms until softened; add garlic and Italian seasoning and cook stirring for 1 minute longer.
Fold the sauteed mixture into the cubed bread. Add cheese, tomatoes and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Mound the pepper halves with the stuffing mixture. Top with onion slices and sprinkle with capers.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, or until peppers are tender. Serve hot.