Mediterranean Roast Chicken
ready in 1 hr 45 min.
- ⅜ cup olive oil
- 4 cups new potatoes (cut into wedges)
- 2 ¾ cups Paris market carrots
- 2 Red onions (cut into wedges)
- 2 baby Fennel bulb (cut into wedges)
- 1 fresh garlic clove (broken into cloves)
- 4 sprigs rosemary (needles removed from one and chopped)
- 5 sprigs thyme (leaves removed from two and chopped)
- 1 sprig Lovage (a few leaves chopped)
- ⅔ cup dry white wine
- 4 unwaxed lemons (one juiced, rest cut into wedges)
- 1 chicken (approx. 1.4 kg)
Oil a roasting tin and place all the vegetables in it. Crush the garlic cloves gently with a fork and add them to the vegetables along with the herbs. Drizzle with 2 tbsp oil, season with salt and ground black pepper and add the wine.
Mix half the lemon juice with the remaining oil and the chopped herbs. Pour the rest of the lemon juice over the vegetables.
Heat the oven to 180°C (160°C in a fan oven), 35o°F, gas 4.
Season the chicken with salt and ground black pepper inside and out. Stuff with the lemon wedges and secure with kitchen twine or toothpicks. Place the chicken, breast side down, on top of the vegetables. Brush the chicken with the herb-lemon-juice-oil mixture and roast for around 1 hour. After 30 minutes turn the chicken over and baste frequently with the oil.
After one hour turn on the grill and all the chicken and the vegetables to brown for 5-10 minutes. Arrange the chicken and the vegetables on a platter and serve.