Meatballs in Tomato Sauce with Penne
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large can tomatoes (800 grams, drained)
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 400 grams Ground meat
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan (freshly grated)
- 2 tablespoons mixed Italian Fresh herbs (finely chopped)
- 400 grams Sigarette or Penne
- peppers (from the mill)
- grated Parmesan (to sprinkle)
Peel onions and garlic, dice and sauté in a pan with 2 tablespoons hot oil. Decrease liquid by half. Combine tomato paste and tomatoes, crush with a potato masher, and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes. Season tomato sauce with salt, pepper and sugar.
Mix together ground beef, remaining stewed onions and garlic, breadcrumbs, egg, Parmesan and herbs and knead. Season with salt and pepper. With moistened hands form small meatballs. In remaining hot oil, add meatballs and tomato sauce and fry until done, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile cook penne in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente. Combine tomato sauce and meatballs with penne, sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.