Mango Chicken and Rice
- 2 200 g (approximately 7 ounces) Chicken breasts (À 200 g)
- 2 white onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Red Bell pepper
- 1 ripe Mango alternatively also ripe apricots or peaches (skinned)
- 1 Saffron
- 1 pc 3 cm (approximately 1 1/4-inch)fresh ginger
- 150 milliliters (approximately 5 1/4 ounces) chicken stock
- 100 milliliters (approximately 3 1/2 ounces) pressed Orange juice
- freshly ground peppers
- 2 Tbsps chopped parsley (or coriander leaves)
- 350 grams (approximately 12 1/2 ounces) Basmati or Long grain rice
Peel the onions and dice. Peel garlic. Wash peppers, halve, remove seeds and white ribs and dice. Peel the mango, cut the flesh from the pit and dice. Peel and finely grate the ginger.
Rinse chicken breasts, pat dry and cut into bite-size pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Heat 1-2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet and cook the chicken until golden brown but not cooked through. Lift the chicken from the pan and keep warm. Add the onions to the pan and saute until translucent, adding more butter if needed. Press the garlic through a garlic press. Add the garlic, peppers, mango and ginger to the skillet and sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 5-8 minutes. Add the chicken stock and the orange juice, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 5 minutes. Dissolve the saffron in a little water and add, to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and cook covered over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, 2-3 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to package instructions. Add rice to the pan with the chicken and mix well. Stir in the parsley season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.