Indian Vegetable Biriyani
6,7 / 10
- 2 Tbsps Avocado oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- fresh ginger (peeled and minced)
- 1 tsp brown Mustard seed
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsps Curry powder
- 2 large, floury potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (drained)
- ⅔ cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 3 cups cooked Basmati rice
- 2 cups Baby spinach
- ½ cup Mango chutney (to serve)
- freshly ground Black pepper
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish set over a medium heat until hot. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt, sweating for 6 - 8 minutes until golden.
Add the seeds and curry powder, stirring well, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and chickpeas, and cover with a lid. Cook over a reduced heat for 6 - 7 minutes until softened.
Stir in the stock and rice, and cover with a lid. Cook for another 8 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is piping hot.
Season the curried rice with salt and pepper and stir through the baby spinach leaves just before serving with chutney.