French Beef and Red Wine Casserole
7,4 / 10
3 h. 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup fatty Bacon (cut into strips)
- 28 ounces Beef (chopped into large chunks)
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 cups Red wine
- ½ cup Beef broth
- 4 teaspoons Cognac
- 18 ounces small Turnip (or carrots)
- 7 ounces onions (chopped into wedges)
- 3 cloves garlic cloves (quartered)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅛ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- To garnish
- fresh marjoram
1 Pot, 1 Measuring cups, 1 Cutting board, 1 Large knife, 1 Tablespoon, 1 Teaspoon, 1 Wooden spoon, 1 Peeler, 1 Fine grater, 1 Small knife
Heat the oven to 160C (140C fan) 325F, gas 3.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Fry the bacon and remove.
Fry the beef in the bacon fat until browned on all sides. Stir in the tomato puree and pour in the wine, broth and cognac.
Add the bacon, turnips, onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Season lightly with salt and ground pepper. Transfer to an oven-proof dish, cover and cook in the oven for approx. 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Knead the butter with the flour and stir into the casserole. Continue to cook for a further 10 minutes, uncovered.
Season with salt and ground pepper and garnish with marjoram to serve.