Steak and Red Wine Casserole
8,3 / 10
2 h. 20 min.
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- ¾ cup smoked Bacon (cut into 5 cm | 2" strips)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (chopped)
- 5.333 cups stewing Beef (cut into 5 cm | 2" cubes)
- 2 Tbsps all-purpose flour
- ⅛ cup butter
- 6 onions (peeled and halved)
- 4 beef-steak tomatoes (skinned and quartered)
- 4 carrots (peeled and julienned)
- 3 cups button Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 bottle Red wine (Burgundy, for example)
- ⅞ cup Beef stock
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 Bouquet garni
Preheat the oven to 150°C (130 fan) | 300°F | gas 2.
Heat a pan on a moderate heat, half the olive oil and then saute the bacon with the chopped onions until softened. Add the chopped garlic and saute for two minutes. Set aside on a plate.
Add the rest of the oil to the pan and roll the beef cubes in the seasoned flour, then sauté until sealed. Set aside. Add the butter and saute the pearl onions, tomatoes, carrots and mushrooms until softened.
Put the beef into a covered casserole dish with the garlic and chopped onion mixture, cover with the wine and stock, add the tomato puree and bouquet garni and place in the oven for one hour.
Add the pearl onions, carrots and mushrooms and cook for a further 45 minutes. Check seasoning, remove the bouquet garni and serve.