ready in 1 hr 5 min.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups Chorizo (or andouille)
- 3 cups large, raw, shell-on shrimp
- 1 onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 rib Celery (rinsed; trimmed and finely chopped)
- 1 small, red Bell pepper (rinsed; trimmed; seeded and diced)
- 1 small, green Bell pepper (rinsed; trimmed; seeded and diced)
- 4 cloves garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 1 ½ cups white Long grain rice (rinsed)
- 2 Tbsps Tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (minced)
- 2 cups canned Diced tomatoes (drained; juice reserved)
- 4 cups clam juice
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh parsley rinsed and chopped (for garnish)
Preheat oven to 325º F / 160º C. Adjust oven rack to middle position.
In a deep cast iron skillet or Dutch oven, set over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmering, but not smoking. Add sausage and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Remove sausage from pan using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add shrimp to the pan and cook until the shells are browned on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer shrimp to a large bowl and refrigerate.
Add onion, celery, peppers and garlic to the pan. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables have softened, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add rice, tomato paste, salt, and thyme; cook until rice is completely coated with oil, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, 1/4 cup reserved tomato juice, clam juice, bay leaf and sausage. Place a piece of aluminum foil directly on rice. Bring to a boil, cover pan, transfer to oven and bake for about 18 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is almost tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Meanwhile, remove the shrimp from the refrigerator; peel and clean, discarding the shells. Remove pan from oven, uncover and remove aluminum foil. Gently stir in the peeled shrimp. Lay the foil back down over the surface of the rice and cover with lid, return to oven, and cook until the rice is tender, all the liquid is absorbed and the shrimp is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Remove pan from oven, uncover, remove foil and bay leaf. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Divide between bowls. Serve.