1. Finely grate the cheddar cheese and set about 30 grams (approximately 1 ounce) aside for garnish.
2. Combine the vegetable broth, milk and olive oil in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
3. Stir the cornmeal into the boiling liquid and season with salt and pepper.
4. Peel and mince the garlic. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the garlic, butter and cheese. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes, until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Spoon the polenta onto warmed plates and sprinkle with the reserved cheese.