Carrots with Waffles
- 1 kilogram carrots (with greens)
- 1 milliliter Vegetable broth (Instant)
- 4 tablespoons Orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 grams grated Emmentaler cheese
- 100 grams soft butter
- 3 eggs
- 200 milliliters milk
- 250 grams Pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon Lemon peel (zest)
- vegetable oil (for baking)
Rinse and peel the carrots. Cut off the greens, except for a small tuft of greens.
Bring the broth, orange juice, salt, red pepper flakes, sugar, nutmeg, and olive oil to a boil. Add the carrots and cook covered over medium heat for about 8 minutes. The carrots should be al dente. Save the liquid.
Arrange the carrots on a plate Pour the liquid over the carrots and cover.
For the waffles: Beat the butter until fluffy. Beat the eggs, milk, flour, lemon zest, salt, and cheese until creamy.
Grease a waffle iron. Fill the waffle iron with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Serve the carrots with the waffles.